After a deep cleansing of the face, a natural toner is always needed. The facial tonic is decisive in a good and deep cleansing of the face. After using your favorite make- up remover, using a cotton pad soaked in natural toner by tapping on the face can offer many benefits to the skin. In this guide, we will see which tonic to use and how.
The daily practice of cleaning the face with cleansing milk or micellar water must in fact be completed by the use of a specific tonic that can remove dirt residues , eliminate impurities, reduce irritation and redness in sensitive skin, give new light to dry skin and off, or offer a pleasant sensation of coolness to oily and oily skin .
The tonic is a water-based solution that then contains other essential elements and oils that can offer particular benefits to all skin types, from oily and acne-prone skin to dry skin, with couperose, for sensitive skin or adult skin and with wrinkles.
When to use the toner and why? Which tonic to use? How to make a DIY toner with simple and natural ingredients? Let’s find out everything about this very important ally for facial cleansing.
What is Tonic
The tonic is a water-based or hydroalcoholic cosmetic solution that can be used daily as a complement to the normal facial cleansing routine.
In practice, the tonic follows the use of a cleansing milk or micellar water in the facial cleansing phase from make-up and serves to remove the last residues of dirt and impurities in the skin of the face.
But not only that, the tonic can be considered a real treatment that in addition to purifying the skin in depth, eliminating bacteria and impurities, can rebalance the pH of the skin, stimulate the natural process of production of collagen and elastin, prepare the skin for final hydration with specific cream.
What is the Use of Facial Tonic
The tonic performs some important functions that complement daily skincare :
- restores the natural slightly acidic pH of the skin, which is sometimes modified by the use of very calcareous water or the use of aggressive products causing dry skin.
- it has a calming and refreshing action on sensitive skin, limiting irritation and redness.
- contributes to deep cleansing, reduces the formation of sebum in oily skin by deeply cleaning the pores of the skin.
When Does it Apply?
The facial tonic should be applied immediately after cleansing the face and complete removal of make-up.
Always carry out this cleansing ritual before going to bed, even if we don’t use make-up during the day:
- with cleansing milk, cleansing soap or micellar water remove make-up or impurities from the skin of the face and neck.
- after cleansing the skin, pass the toner to your skin, whether it is sensitive, combination, oily or dry.
- conclude with the application of your favorite cream or serum: moisturizing, nourishing or anti-aging.
It is advisable to apply the face tonic also in the morning before make-up . Some natural tonics are suitable for applications even during the day just to offer freshness and brightness to the skin, especially in the case of oily skin.
Why Use the Toner on the Skin of the Face?
The facial tonic performs an important function for all skin types: to maintain the degree of moisture in the skin unchanged. This action makes the skin always adequately hydrated, soft and compact and thus makes it more beautiful and healthier.
But let’s see in detail why you need to use the facial tonic :
- restores the slightly acidic pH of the skin
- carries out a sebum-regulating action because it narrows the pores that dilate during face cleansing
- reduces redness and irritation with a purifying and calming effect
- evens skin tone
- stimulates the production processes of collagen and elastin and rejuvenates the skin tissues
- allows greater penetration of the active ingredients of the cream or moisturizing serum
How Facial Tonic Applies
The use of the toner follows the use of a cleansing milk or a make-up remover. To properly cleanse the skin of the face
- use a cleanser that removes any make-up from the skin, with cleansing milk or cleansing gel
- use eye makeup remover
- complete with a toner applied with a cotton pad, dabbing without rubbing on the skin of the face and neck. The toner will remove the last impurities leaving the skin fresh.
The toner is applied paying attention to the eye contour. The tonic should not be rinsed off.
Then you can apply the moisturizing or anti-aging cream.
Facial Tonic: Which One to Use
Skin toners can be:
- alcohol-based: these are formulations based on alcohol, water and essential oil, widely used in the past but today they are almost completely outdated formulations.
- natural alcohol-free: these are water-based tonics obtained mainly from the distilled water of some plants or flowers.
- biphasic formulations: these are non-alcoholic tonics composed of an aqueous and an oily part that must be combined before use.
The choice of toner depends on the type of skin: products containing 100% natural and alcohol-free ingredients are always recommended.
There are many face tonics on the market, but be careful you can easily prepare them at home too. Let’s see how, in detail.
How to Prepare Facial Tonic
How to make a do-it-yourself toner that can meet the needs of all facial skin types.
First of all you need to use the right natural ingredients that, thanks to the active ingredients contained, will be able to benefit the skin.
Here are all the most common recipes for a 100% natural, alcohol-free DIY toner.
Chamomile Tonic for Delicate Skin
- 150 g of distilled or mineral water
- 2 tablespoons of chamomile tea or 2 sachets
Preparation . Boil the water in a saucepan and add the chamomile flowers . Leave the flame on for a couple of minutes and then turn it off and let it cool. Filter and store everything in a practical, clean bottle. If you like, you can add a drop of chamomile essential oil to enhance the soothing power. You can also opt for a few drops of apple or lemon cider vinegar if your skin is combination.
DIY Rose Water
Rose tonic or rose water is a very famous product especially for those with oily skin. It is also used several times during the day to relieve the sensation of grease and impurities to give a pleasant sensation of freshness.
Rose water is also used in the preparation of masks and natural products against seborrheic dermatitis, dark circles, acne, edema, rosacea and wrinkles. Let’s see how to prepare DIY rose water.
- 1 cup of rose petals
- 500 ml of distilled water
Preparation : wash the freshly picked petals, eliminating all forms of dirt. Boil the water then pour the petals and water into an airtight glass container. Leave closed for 30 minutes. When it is cold, filter the water using a sieve or fine gauze. Keep the water obtained in the refrigerator for a maximum of 10 days.
Refreshing Cucumber Facial Tonic
- 1 cucumber
- 1 glass of mineral water
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
Preparation : blend the cucumber and filter the juice obtained. Combine the water and the two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. Mix well and store the tonic obtained in the refrigerator for about a week.
DIY Green Tea Facial Toner for Combination Skin
- 1 green tea bag
- 30 cl of distilled or mineral water
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- lemon juice
- lavender essential oil
Preparation . Prepare the green tea and pour into a small bottle adding the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar . Mix the mixture well and add a few drops of lavender essential oil . Store in the fridge for up to 10 days. Perfect if applied to combination skin morning and evening especially on the T-zone.
Do-it-yourself Tonic Against Wrinkles and Imperfections
- 2 lemons
- 30 cl of organic beer
- 1 cup of rose water
Preparation : Squeeze the lemon juice and add the beer and rose water. Mix well. Dip some cotton in the preparation and apply it gently on the face. Leave on for at least 15 minutes and remove with warm water.
Emollient Coconut Milk
- 1 glass of mineral water
- 2 tablespoons grated coconut
- 2 drops of lime
Preparation. Leave the grated coconut to soak for a few hours in the mineral water. Pass everything to the mixer and filter. Then add the drops of fresh lime. Mix well. The tonic thus obtained has a nourishing, softening, emollient and toning effect. It can be kept in the fridge for up to a week.